There is a famous saying about a shoemaker without shoes that I can easily apply to my crocheting creative life: I'm a crocheter without a nice crochet piece just for myself. Yes, I usually give away my own creations as presents and I really don't know why it's so hard to break the habit.
Last Saturday I was trying to create a new scarf pattern and made a small crochet motif to test the pattern. I had a tiny little ball of natural undyed homemade wool yarn. It was all left from more than a kilogram of yarn my mom bought me as a present in a small village somewhere in the North of Russia about 20 years ago.
What can I do to keep the memories?
Right! I can turn this motif to a nice coaster for my morning coffee cup:
I used a crochet motif as a center piece of the coaster, 2 felt sheets for the foundation and some beads for decoration. Now I know what to do with many other crochet sample motifs that are stored in the big box, waiting for their chance to shine! ) If you have the same to store crochet test samples and don't know what to do next, here is my easy and fast do-it-yourself instruction.
Crochet motif coaster with beads. Easy 5 step tutorial
What do you need: one finished crochet motif, two felt sheets (select the colors you like), beads of different sizes (plus a thread and needle to stitch them).
The size of my crochet motif is 14 cm x 14,5 cm. The size of a finished coaster is 16,5 cm x 17 cm.
1. Take your finished crochet motif, place it on one felt sheet. Add about 1 cm on each side of the motif, mark the lines on a felt sheet and cut the fabric.
2. Stitch your crochet motif to a felt foundation you just made.
3. Decorate with beads you coaster. I used basic some basic bead embroidery stitches like beaded back stitch.
4. Take your coaster and place it on a second felt sheet. Add about 0,5 cm - 1 cm on each side, mark the lines on the second felt sheet and cut the fabric.
5. Stitch our glue our coaster with a new foundation.
Your coaster is ready, enjoy your cup of tea or coffee!